Kansai International Airport (near Osaka) suffered damage from Typhoon Jebi in early September 2018. However, as of 21 September both terminals have been re-opened and flights are operating at normal levels.
Currently, from Kansai International Airport you can access to Kinosaki Onsen with these options:
(1) Take train. Train operations to and from Kansai Intl. Airport resumed on 18 September. From Kansai International Airport there are many routes but an easy one is to take the JR Limited Express Haruka train to Shin-Osaka or Kyoto station. From there, transfer to limited express train for Kinosaki Onsen. It takes about 5 hours to reach Kinosaki from Kansai Airport. You should arrive on morning flight to allow enough time to transfer to Kinosaki Onsen.
(2) Take airport highway bus to Osaka and transfer to highway bus for Kinosaki Onsen (Zentan Bus) or JR trains to Kinosaki Onsen.
(3) Bay Shuttle to Kobe Airport
- Take bay shuttle boat to Kobe Airport
- Transfer to Kobe Airport Station (short bus ride)
- Take JR Port Liner to JR Sannomiya Station (transfer by foot, 5 min)
- Take JR train to Kinosaki Onsen (Hamakaze is convenient express train)
* Reservation for bay shuttle recommended (online booking possible)
(4) Taxi or professional private care hire.
(5) Rental car or personal car. NOTE: due to repair work on the bridge connecting KIX to the mainland, traffic congesition and delays are predicted. When possible, recommend using trains.
Morning flight arrival recommended for transferring to Kinosaki Onsen.
The Toyooka area and Kinosaki Onsen received no damage from the recent Typhoon Jebi. The town, all public hot springs and our ryokan are operating normally. The trains & roads to and from Kinosaki Onsen are also operating normally.
As of 21 Sept flights have resumed to at or near normal levels, but you can consult with your airline for status of your specific flight. Japan has several international airports and many options exist (see "alternative airports" question for more details). Kinosaki Onsen enjoys convenient access by train and road. We regularly welcome guests staying the night before in cities/places such as Kyoto, Osaka, Nagoya, Tokyo, Takayama, Kanazawa, Hiroshima, Kobe, Himeji, Naoshima, Miyajima, Okayama, Matsue and Tottori.
The following are some of the international airports often used by guests staying in Kinosaki Onsen. We recommend to stay the night before in a major city near Kinosaki or the airport before arriving to Kinosaki.
Additionally, the Japanese government has begun planning to allow international flights to use nearby Osaka Itami Airport (ITM) and Kobe Airport (UKB). Monitor this web page and news for developments regarding the special flights.
It takes about 4-5 hours by train from the airport to Kinosaki Onsen (approximately same time as normal transfer from Kansai International Airport to Kinosaki Onsen). Take train to Nagoya Station and transfer to shinkansen (bullet train). Change to limited express train in Kyoto, Shin-Osaka or Himeji for Kinosaki Onsen. Recommend depart airport by 12:00 PM to arrive Kinosaki Onsen by 16:50. Search routes here.
From Central Tokyo it takes about 5-6 hours to reach Kinosaki Onsen. In general, the easiest route it to take the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Kyoto or Shin-Osaka and then change to a limited express train for Kinosaki Onsen. Search routes here.
It takes about 4 hours on average by train from JR Nagoya Station to JR Kinosaki Onsen Station. Take a shinkansen bullet train from Nagoya to Kyoto or Himeji and change to express train bound for Kinosaki Onsen. Search routes here.
It takes about 4-5 hours to reach Kinosaki Onsen from JR Hiroshima Station by train. Take a shinkansen (bullet train) to Himeji Station, and change to the Hamakaze Limited Express train heading directly for Kinosaki Onsen. Search routes here.
It takes about 4-5 hours to reach Kinosaki Onsen from JR Okayama Station by train. Take a shinkansen (bullet train) to Himeji, Shin-Osaka or Kyoto and change for limited express train to Kinosaki Onsen. The transfer from Naoshima to JR Okayama takes approx 1.5 hours. Search routes here.
Please use our contact form to send us a message. For urgent matters please call us (phone number is on our contact page).
JR Train Access
Kinosaki Onsen station is easily accessed by JR trains from all of the major train stations in the Kansai Area of Western Japan. Holders of the JR rail pass or Kansai Wide Area pass can access Kinosaki Onsen on JR lines for free.
Access from Kyoto / Osaka / Kobe / Himeji
The fastest and easiest way to access Kinosaki Onsen is by limited express train. Many limited express trains go directly to Kinosaki Onsen with no transfer needed. Check the table above for suggested trains. Limited express train time schedules are available here and you can also search for train times/routes on Hyperdia. Check-in time for Nishimuraya Honkan is 2:00 pm.
Access from Kansai International Airport (KIX)
From Kansai International Airport, take a train or bus to Osaka, Shin-Osaka, Kyoto, or Kobe (Sannomiya Station) and transfer to limited express train for Kinosaki Onsen.
Access from Tokyo
Take a bullet train (shinkansen) to Kyoto or Shin Osaka and transfer to a limited express train for Kinosaki Onsen. Please note that rail passes cannot be used on the fastest Nozomi bullet trains (use the Hikari bullet train, instead). It takes about 5:30 from Tokyo to Kinosaki Onsen.
Access from Hiroshima / Okayama / Kyushu
If you are coming to Kinosaki from the direction of Hiroshima / Okayama / Kyushu, take a bullet train (shinkansen) to a major city like Himeji, Kobe (Sannomiya), or Osaka and change to a limited express train for Kinosaki Onsen.
How do I get tickets for limited express trains?
Tickets can be bought from special limited express ticket machines or ticket offices located at any major JR station. If you have a valid rail pass, go to a ticket office and show your pass to get a ticket.
Free Shuttle Bus to Nishimuraya Honkan
The Ryokan Association operates a complimentary shuttle bus from Kinosaki Onsen Station to all participating ryokan in Kinosaki. The shuttle bus departs after arrival of certain limited express trains. On arrival, tell the waiting shuttle stuff that you are staying at "Nishimuraya Honkan". Contact us with your train arrival time before your check-in day. * see this schedule for shuttle availability.
Walking to Nishimuraya Honkan
Baggage check (09:00-17:00 / 200 JPY per item) available at Ryokan Service Center across street from the station. It takes about 15-20 minutes to walk from Kinosaki Onsen Station to Nishimuraya Honkan. Here is a walking map of Kinosaki Onsen.
* From Hidaka-Kanabekogen IC to Kinosaki Onsen it takes about 35 minutes.
* During the winter, chain/winter tire requirements and road closures are sometimes enforced.
* Always check road conditions before departing.
* We provide complimentary valet parking service at Nishimuraya Honkan
There are usually two flights per-day between Osaka International Airport (Itami) and Tajima Konotori Airport. During the winter, especially, flights can be delayed or cancelled due to weather conditions. Check flight conditions before departure.
* Travel times are approximate. Always confirm your schedule before departure.